Astray

Monday, November 27, 2006

MPH booya

I can't remember a time when I've ever felt so damn casual about attending an event, particularly one which could see me win something. I dunno, maybe it was the total lack of belief that anything could be won for me anyway. Or maybe it was because I was too preoccupied thinking about Magic, university, PS2 and university...

So, after 3 days of wasted efforts and 6 hours of frantic writing and equally frantic editing...

I get a consolation prize.

Which, to me, is actually quite......well, while managing to be appropriate, still irks me somewhat. I dunno, I hope I didn't look too unsmiling for the cameras; I certainly tried to smile, but I was just too lazy to fake it. I know I know, a whole lot of people are going to tell me that "well, you WON something, isn't that a great thing?" True that, but the possibilities of what could have been still linger there. Especially considering the slapdash quality of the essay I sent in. I may have bested a lot of entrants to this prize, but the fact remains that somehow, I shouldn't have won.... or, given another chance, I could have done better. Knowing I participated without trying the best I could is such an anguish, if only because of this. It's not like I'm sad; I'm happy. I really am. Just that, well.......it's not the 'jump up and down' sort of happiness.... It' more like the 'that's cool', laid back feeling.

And to make things worse, me and Andrew are level. He got consolation prize too. So, no clear-cut winner between the ex-DJians who participated. Then again, having DJ post (I think) 2 people in the top 8 category of Category B is pretty cool in itself.

Oh well, at least I get my crapwork published. *shrugs*

And speaking of Uni......1 more week. Sigh........

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Loh said...

congrats :)!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

lol thanks... same to you too, man. Btw your bro soooooo looks like you from far away.....@_@

12:41 PM  
Blogger Bex said...

Hi, you don't know me but I'm Hsueh Ming's friend and he showed me your essay a long long time ago and I really really liked it so I'm really happy for you that you won something! Congrats!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

haha, thanks... Hsueh Ming told me about you reading it last time. Nice to know you liked it; I did at first, but after re-reading and editing, I like the sent-in version less and less, so meh... At least there's the stationery :P

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crongrats, Nicholas~

8:26 AM  
Blogger Bex said...

It's always like that. I end up hating everything I write after reading it a few times so NOT rereading it again is sometimes a very good idea. =p And yeah, it is best when you don't have to edit it for others to read too. Worse still, when they publish it, they'll edit even more of it out. Most of the time, especially the parts you liked the most. Haha sorry, I must be scaring you. =p

1:00 PM  
Blogger Nicholas said...

lol, no.... it's not scary, I do sort of expect the story to be edited and I also do expect that I'm going to like that story even less (if that's possible) once the compilation comes out. But oh well, you can't have everything I guess.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home